Friday, July 7, 2017

When Rye Grows Up

Our friend Jodi over at Heart Like a Dog had a cute post a couple weeks ago about her response to the question "If your pet had a job, what would it be?" A few years ago, I sent my sister's kindergarten class a book called Calico Dorsey about a real-life border collie who helped deliver the mail. The kids wrote Barley adorable letters about what they wanted to be when they grew up--everything ranging from teachers to ninjas to hamster trainers--and then asked Barley what job she would like to have.


The obvious answer would be a model. (Although in the letter she wrote back to the kids that was the one job she said she wouldn't want.) This dog lives for being in front of the camera. In fact, a few weeks ago, we were out walking by the lake and saw a young man taking pictures of his girlfriend. The girlfriend asked if she could say hi to Barley, who immediately locked onto the man's camera, and the man started taking pictures of the woman and Barley together. 


One of the many jobs Barley said she'd like to have is a P.E. teacher since she loves to spend time at the gym. I know from personal experience that she's a good personal trainer--she doesn't put up with any excuses for not moving! 

Would you say no to something this face told you to do in gym?

When I read Jodi's post, I started wondering what job my little Rye would have. It didn't take long for me to realize that Rye wouldn't just want a specific career, she'd want to be a specific person--Chip Gaines from HGTV's Fixer Upper.

This puppy lives for DEMO DAY! And in Rye's world, every day is demo day.



She will do anything for attention, no matter how goofy she looks. (She'd probably also be willing to eat cockroaches and other bugs found while showing a house to people.)


Landscaping? No problem. She loves to help in the yard.




She also loves home improvement projects. She motivated me to finally remove the last of the wallpaper in our house by grabbing a tiny part that had been peeling off before we moved in.

She was very proud of the corner she peeled off above the vent.

She was obsessed with my painter's tape when I was preparing to paint the walls.


And she couldn't believe that I finally told her it was ok to pull the tape off the baseboards. 



So, move over Chip and Jo--Rye's ready to take over the next season of Fixer Upper

20 comments:

  1. I love it!! Rye has totally found her calling, and how lucky for you to have an assistant for projects around the house! :)
    Jan, Wag n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so goofy! When I went to get more paint the other day, I noticed that our Lowe's has a sign on the front door that says they are pet friendly, so next time I need to get something, I'll have to take her with me. She won't know what to think when she sees all of those fun tools!

      Delete
  2. Dang, you sure are working hard, but you're darn good at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is definitely a pup who needs a job--and she's perfectly willing to find them by herself if I don't give her one ;)

      Delete
  3. Hahahaha oh Rye. This made me smile! The kiddos will definitely have to write to Bar again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can't wait to get more fan mail!

      Delete
  4. Rye seems to be a real all around dog! Very helpful at home. Now if she would learn to clean and do laundry, you would be in great shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cleaning and laundry go against everything Rye believes in, but I agree that it would be fantastic if she could learn those chores, too!

      Delete
  5. I love Jodi's posts and her sense of humor - and this was a good idea. Looks like Rye is a busy girl always willing to help and "rescue" her human ;) Thank you for linking up to the Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is definitely "helpful" when it comes to home projects! We love Jodi's sense of humor, too!

      Delete
  6. It's wonderful that Barley and Rye are so willing in their respective careers! Personally I think Rye would be far more use in one week around my Palace than the peep has been in the last 10 years!
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rye has definitely helped get lots of projects started around here--even if I wasn't quite ready to tackle them myself!

      Delete
  7. That is so cute! I will need to go read that post from Jodi too. What an interesting question. I will have to think about my two mastiff's jobs.... one is a total sweetheart, the other a bad boy. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! When you come up with their jobs, let me know! I think the bad boys sometimes have the more fun career choices ;)

      Delete
  8. She's hired! I need Rye to come help me with my fixing up. My dogs are all supervisors. I need a dog who will work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rye is great at starting projects, but once it's time to start polishing things up and putting things back together she's useless!

      Delete
  9. My boy Ryder is always ready to pose too, he has his own Instagram for all his selfies! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that Ryder doesn't have to share his Instagram with anyone! Barley's inner diva probably makes her wish she didn't have to share with me and her siblings ;)

      Delete
  10. First off...thanks for the shout out!

    When you said Rye would want to be Chip Gaines, my first thought was, "I hope she won't eat cockroaches." LOL

    I like doing demos myself, except I like to use a sledge hammer. :-) Wouldn't it be great if our dogs could really do things like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Given Rye's fondness for the cicadas she's found in the yard, I think cockroach eating is definitely a possibility! I forgot to mention the time that Rye slid off the bed and hit the wall so hard that she broke the outlet cover--I think it is a VERY good thing that she can't use a sledge hammer!

      Delete